Topics Map > Applied Biotechnology
Topics Map > Applied Computing
Topics Map > Data Science
Topics Map > Health Information Management and Technology
Topics Map > IT Management
Topics Map > Cybersecurity
Virtual Lab Installation and Navigation Instructions - Mac
This document will walk through the Virtual Lab installation process for Mac users.
Some UWEX programs use the Virtual Lab Infrastructure to create a secure connection between your computer and a virtual Windows desktop in which your program software is installed. This infrastructure uses a non-persistent environment, similar to an in-person computer lab. You will need to install the VMWare Horizon Client to access and use a virtual lab for class assignments and projects that require specialized software applications.
The Mac version of this series of documents contains four important sections of information for students:
- Virtual Lab System Requirements (Part A)
- Accessing the Virtual Lab and How to Get Help (Part B)
- Virtual Lab Installation and Navigation Instructions (Part C) (This page)
- How to Save Work Safely in the Virtual Lab (Part D)
To install the Virtual Lab on your Mac computer, please follow the below instructions.
2. On the next screen, click "Go to Downloads" under the "VMware Horizon Client for Mac" heading.
3. On the next screen, click "Download."
4. You should see something indicating the download is in progress.
5. You will need to agree to the terms and conditions to move forward.
6. The application will process.
7. On the window that displays, drag and drop the VMware Horizon Client image from left to right into the Applications folder which displays.
8. You can then either double click the Applications folder or find your file in the Finder.
In the finder, click Applications scroll until you find the VMware Horizon Client.
9. In the next window, click "Open."
10. You will be prompted to start remote USB and Printing services. Please click "Continue" and enter your machine's username and password if prompted.
11. In the next window, enter the name of the connection server: virtuallab.wisconsin.edu
12. You will be prompted to enter your log-in credentials, being sure that the Domain listed is "VIRTUALLAB." These are the username and password which were sent to you at the beginning of Preview Week. If you do not have these, please contact Tech Support.
13. You will see a window with your appropriate workspace (Data Science or Applied Computing). Double click it to open your Virtual Lab.
14. The Virtual Lab will open (it may take a few moments) and ask you if you want to share your home folder and removable storage. It is strongly suggested that you click "Allow." If you do not and wish to share later, please see the article regarding saving in the Virtual Lab.