Permission Numbers - The first step in semester registration
This article will walk you through how to obtain permission numbers to register for a semester-based course in a multi-campus collaborative program.
Permission numbers allow you to obtain space in a course so you can register for it in your home campus registration system. Most UW Extended Campus programs that run on a semester schedule (Fall, Spring, Summer semesters) require students to register by first obtaining a permission number from the UW Extended Campus system. Once you have that, you may use that permission number to complete registration in your home campus registration system.
1. First, go to your program's website
2. Hover your mouse over the "Current Students" tab at the top of the page. A dropdown menu will appear; click "Registration."
3. On the next screen, click the appropriate "Register" button.
- For some programs, you will need to choose your degree program (bachelor's or master's); for other programs, you will just click "Register Now."
4. Log in using your permission number site credentials. These were sent to you in an e-mail from your Student Success Coach when you were admitted to the program. If you do not have these credentials, please e-mail your Student Success Coach and they will be able to help.
5. Once you have logged in, you will see a column on the left side of your screen. Click "Course Selection" to move forward with the registration process.
6. Select the courses you plan to take in the upcoming semester by clicking the appropriate box in the "Add" column to the right.
Note: If you plan to take the Capstone (or in some cases, the Pre-Capstone), you will be required to choose the "Waitlist" option. This just alerts your Coach to your intention to take that course. The Coach will follow up with you after receiving your waitlist request. To submit the waitlist request and/or to obtain permission numbers, please continue following these instructions.
7. Click Continue.
8. Review the information on the next page related to semester, credit load, prerequisites, and cost. Check the prerequisite box to verify that you have met any prerequisites for the course, then click "Continue" if this all looks right.
Note: If you want to make any changes, click "Edit Course Selection," and this will take you back to the previous page.
9. You will see a screen that lists your courses, permission numbers, and a link to your home campus registration system. Follow that link to complete registration in your home campus system. You will also receive an e-mail with the permission numbers in case you do not have an enrollment date in your home campus system yet. The example below uses the Stevens Point campus system, but your screen will have your campus's system listed.
Note: You will have a different set of log-in credentials for your home campus system. Please contact your home campus Help Desk if you need help with those credentials.