Updating Global Address List
This document explains the process of how an individual can get their information updated in GAL. If their information has already been submitted, this explains how to manually download their address book to force their Outlook to updated its information.
1. HRS- "Update Your Information With Payroll" – The user must sign in and update the forms located here: https://www.uwex.edu/forms/payroll/pif/ There is a 24 hour lag for the server to be updated and pushes go through at night.
a. The date the updates pushed through HR. This is usually just a phone call to verify when the updates were submitted. There is a 24 hour lag for the server to be updated and pushes go through at night.b. AD Informationc. Requested update informationd. Verifiy the GAL listing information
When a customer reports a new employee, or changes made to an existing employee’s information hasn’t appeared in the Global Address List (GAL) in Outlook, in almost all cases this is because that person’s local (cached) copy of the GAL has not yet been pushed the new/updated information. Updates are pushed out to local copies of the GAL daily. However these updates can be delayed by heavy network traffic, or other network issues. It can take up to 72 hours for new records and updates to existing records in AD/Exchange to propagate out to all local copies of the GAL.
The following instructions describe how an individual can manually initiate an update to their local copy of the GAL in Outlook 2010.
1. In Outlook click on the Send/Receive tab, then click Send/Receive Groups, and then click Download Address Book… .
2. The Offline Address Book dialogue window opens. Verify the “Download changes since last Send/Receive” is checked, and Full Details is the option selected, and also that the item displayed in the Choose address book: dialogue box is \Global Address List. Click OK.
3. Outlook begins the process of connecting to the Address Book and downloading all the changes since it was last updated, and applying them to the local copy of the GAL. The following image represents the progression window which displays during this progress. This process can take from one to two minutes. When the Outlook Send/Receive Progress window closes the process to update the GAL is complete.
4. The customer should now search the GAL for the information they reported was missing.
5. If the new employee, or updated information is still not found in the GAL, assign the Footprints incident ticket you created for the incident to the Technical Operations team.