Topics Map > IT
Apple -- iMovie fails to open -- Steps to resolve the issue
This document summarizes what to do when iMovie fails to open and the steps on how to resolve the issue.
Apple iMovie fails to open -- Steps to resolve the issue
Issue: When the customer clicks on the iMovie icon, the icon only bounces up and down. The iMovie application does not open.
Resolution A: Delete the iMovie preference file.
Deleting the preference file often resolves the issue when iMovie is not functioning correctly. The preferences file can become corrupted if iMovie quits unexpectedly, or is "Forced to Quit". Other circumstances may also cause the file to become corrupted. Deleting the file will not damage the customer's Projects or Events.
1. Close iMovie.
2. In Finder navigate to the file named "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist" in your User (Home)>Library>Preferences folder.
3. Drag the .plist file to the Trash.
4. Open iMovie. A fresh file with the default settings will automatically be created and placed in the Library>Preferences folder.
5. Modify the iMovie default preferences if desired. Open iMovie>Preferences
Resolution B: If deleting the preferences file does not resolve the issue with iMovie, check for updates, and/or a new version of iMovie available.
1. Check for updates to the installed version of iMovie.
2. If there is an update(s) available, download, and install the update.
3. Test the iMovie application.
a. If iMove functions as it should, you are done.b. If iMove still does work correctly, search for additional updates or a newer version of the program. Download and install the update or newer version of iMovie, then test it. Repeat step b. until iMove functions properly.