Topics Map > IT
Online KB_D2L Cannot Download Files
downloading files from D2L in Windows XP
If you experience problems downloading files from D2L and receive either an information bar stating that Internet Explorer has blocked the download.
or you simply get a blank screen, follow the steps below to correct the problem. This issue was first introduced in Windows XP Service Pack 2.
First try downloading Mozilla Firefox. This should fix the issue. If not, following these instructions:
PLEASE NOTE: These instructions will lower your
security settings in Internet Explorer to allow automatic file downloads. After
making the changes below, you will receive prompts before files are downloaded.
It is imperative that you read the prompts before downloading any files. Never
download unknown files.
1) In Internet Explorer, go to the Tools menu, then down to Internet Options
2) Click the Security Tab, then click the Custom Level button
3) Scroll down to the Downloads section and click Enable under "Automatic prompting for file downloads"
4) Click OK on the Custom Settings box
5) Click yes when prompted to change the security settings for the current zone
6) Click OK on Internet Options
7) Close all instances of Internet Explorer and then restart it
The next time you click on a link or file in D2L, you will receive a File Download prompt. Click Open to open the file or link.