Topics Map > IT
Surplus Property Disposal Swap Procedure
This document explains the procedures for disposing of surplus property.
BUSINESS SERVICES POLICY AND PROCEDURE DOCUMENT (BSPPD) #6
SURPLUS PROPERTY DISPOSAL
The disposal of any state owned property is regulated by State Procurement Policy. UWEX Purchasing is the only department granted state authority to dispose of state owned property for UWEX. The Purchasing department may delegate disposal authority to other departments for specific transactions. UWEX departmental staff may transfer property to other UWEX departments, UW institutions, or state agencies if approved by their Departmental Chair. If the transfer is for capital equipment (acquisition cost of $5,000 or more), a Property Disposal form should be completed and sent to UWEX Purchasing. All other property can only be disposed of after it has been declared surplus and a Property Disposal form completed.
NOTE: For purposes of this policy document, "surplus property" does not include consumable supplies or any items with a low acquisition cost (i.e. $500 or less) that are no longer in working condition. Departmental staff may discard items that do not meet this definition of surplus property. However, under no circumstances should any discarded state owned property be kept for personal use.
2.1 Surplus Property Pick-up Request form (for surplus pickup; http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/swap/pick-up.html) should be completed and submitted to SWAP with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org OR a Property Disposition Report form for transfer, stolen, unexplained, other; http://www.uwex.edu/business-services/forms/accounting/propDisposition.pdf) should be completed and sent to the UWEX Purchasing Department at 432 North Lake Street - Room 104, Madison, WI 53706 for the following disposals:
- 2.1.1 When property has been declared surplus and departmental staff wishes to have it picked up for disposal.
- 2.1.2 The department wants to transfer capital equipment (acquisition cost of $5,000 or more) to another UWEX department, UW institution, or to a state agency. The UWEX Purchasing Department will update the institutional capital equipment inventory records accordingly.
- 2.1.3 Equipment has either been stolen, had an unexplained or mysterious disappearance, or traded-in, cannibalized for parts, etc. If capital equipment is involved, the UWEX Purchasing Department will update the institutional capital equipment inventory records accordingly. The UWEX Risk Manager will review all reported thefts or unexplained/mysterious disappearances.
2.2 Due to the absence of UWEX storage space for surplus property, the coordination of ordering, receiving, and removing surplus property are of the utmost importance. Surplus property should never be stored in hallways or on loading docks.
- 2.2.1 Surplus Property Pick-up Request form (for surplus pickup; http://www.uwex.edu/business-services/forms/policy/6-formb.doc) OR Property Disposition Report form (for transfer, stolen, unexplained, other; http://www.uwex.edu/business-services/forms/accounting/propDisposition.pdf) must be sent to the UWEX Purchasing Department when property is no longer needed. Please complete the form in its entirety. DO NOT SEND THE FORM DIRECTLY TO SWAP.
- 2.2.2 The UWEX Purchasing Department will arrange transportation services for the removal of surplus property by the UW-Madison SWAP Shop. SWAP requires a minimum of five (5) working days (frequently longer). If removal is required prior to SWAP transportation availability, alternative transportation is available at departmental cost. Plan accordingly! NOTE: SWAP will not pick up any surplus property without having a Surplus Property Pick-up Request form.
2.3 Sales of most surplus property to non-UWEX departments, other state agencies, or to the public will be handled by the UW-Madison SWAP Shop at 1061 Thousand Oaks Trail, Verona, WI 53593 adn will be subject to their policies and procedures.
3.0 Methods of Disposal
3.1 Sale or donation to another UWEX department.
3.2 Sale or donation to another state agency.
3.3 Sale or donation to another tax supported unit or school district.
3.4 Sale to the public by the following means:
- 3.4.1 Auction (e.g. motor vehicles, etc.)
- 3.4.2 Fixed price (e.g. office furniture and equipment, multiple like items, etc.)
- 3.4.3 Sealed bid (e.g. specialized equipment, computer equipment, audiovisual, etc.)
- 3.4.4 Negotiation (e.g. specialized equipment, computer equipment, audiovisual, etc.)
3.5 Destruction (e.g. official seals, hazardous chemicals, etc.)
3.6 Scrap or salvage (e.g. property with no intrinsic value, irreparable equipment, etc.)
NOTE: Donations of state property to private individuals, for-profit organizations, or state employees are prohibited by state statute. Sales to these individuals or organizations can be made through the UW-Madison SWAP Shop.
4.0 Equipment Trade-In
4.1 Departments may elect to trade-in equipment as part of a bid to purchase new equipment.
4.2 A Property Disposition Report form (http://www.uwex.edu/businessservices/forms/accounting/propDisposition.pdf) should accompany the purchase requisition for capital equipment (acquisition of $5,000 or more) and be clearly marked as "TRADE-IN" in the comments section. A reference should also be made on the requisition as to the trade-in.
4.3 The purchasing agent assigned to purchase the commodity will research the current market value and compare this to the trade-in value offered on the bid.
5.0 UW-Madison SWAP Shop Warehouse Sales
5.1 Sales to UW department and other state agencies are held every Thursday from 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
5.2 Sales to the public are held every Friday from 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM.
5.3 UWEX departments can access the current inventory at the SWAP Shop by calling (608) 497-4440 or on the World Wide Web homepage at http://bussvc.wisc.edu/swap/.