Error Messages in Outlook 2013
Users are receiving an error message in Outlook- this document provides a solution to these error messages.
You are using Outlook 2013 to access a shared calendar or item in a shared calendar, and you receive one of the following messages:
- "Could not read the Calendar. Network Problems are preventing connection to Microsoft Exchange"
- "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange server outlook.office365.com"
- "Microsoft Outlook Sorry, we're having trouble opening this item. This could be temporary, but if you see it again you might want to restart Outlook. Network problems are preventing connection to Microsoft Exchange."
- "Microsoft Outlook Cannot save free/busy information. We can't complete this because we can't contact the server right now. Please try again later."
- "Microsoft Outlook Could not read the calendar. We can't complete this because we can't contact the server right now. Please try again later."
- "Microsoft Outlook We can't complete this because we can't contact the server right now. Please try again later."
There are two potential ways to try to fix this problem. The first method is to exit out of Lync completely. The second is to uncheck "Use Cache Mode" in Outlook.
Method One: Close Lync
1. To close Lync completely, find your system tray at the bottom right hand corner of your screen. It will be a small, upfacing arrow.
2. Locate the Lync symbol in your system tray. Right click, and select "Exit." make sure to close Outlook and re-open after Lync is turned off.
3. You can resign into Lync by following step one and clicking the Lync symbol in your system tray again.
Method Two: Uncheck "Use Cache Mode"
1. First, you must be in your Outlook application. Go to File > Account Settings. From the drop down menu, select Account Settings.
2. The Account Settings window will appear. Once in here, go to the "Change" option.
3. This will bring another window up. Select the "More Settings" option at the bottom of the window.
4. Click the "Advanced" tab, and uncheck the box next to "Use Cached Exchange Mode" as shown below.
5. Once you are finished, click "Apply."
Close and reopen Outlook and test to see if the issue has been resolved.
If you have any further problems, please contact the Service Center at (608) 262-5034 or by web form.