Topics Map > IT
Central IT Support of Mac OS based devices
When considering computer purchases, there are some important limitations to consider when choosing between a Windows based device vs a Mac Operating System based device.
The primary limitations are:
- The latest version of Microsoft Office we have available is 2011. Office 2013 cannot currently be installed on the Mac OS. (The new Office365 Outlook for Mac is not available through our subscription, Office 2011 does come with an Outlook client)
- Cannot be joined to the UW Extension/UW Colleges domain. While a Mac device can connect to and use our network resources it will function as an unmanaged device.
- Network shared folders, including home drives, will need to be manually configured.
- Network printers will need to be manually connected vs being able to browse for them in our printer directory.
- Login credentials will not synchronize on your computer. This means that it will not accept your UW Extension/UW Colleges username and password as a login, a separate account needs to be created to sign into the computer itself. Once logged in to the computer your UWEX/UWC id and password can be used as normal when connecting to e-mail and network resources.
- System management software used by Central IT will not function which limits our ability to make software available for download and install without requiring IT assistance and also limits our ability to remote connect to your device for troubleshooting purposes.
- Certain software packages will only run on Windows and may not be able to be used on Mac devices.
Central IT does support Mac desktop, laptop, and mobile devices, the information above is being provided as information to assist in purchasing decisions and should not be considered as advising for or against a particular brand of technology.