Topics Map > IT
Inviting New Users to SharePoint Sites
A note before you begin: You MUST be an administrator with full access to the SharePoint site in order to add additional users to any SharePoint site. If you are not an owner and you wish to add a user onto the site, you must contact the site's owner for permission.
This document will outline how to add new users to a SharePoint 2013 site, as well as give additional information about SharePoint permissions.
To add a new user:
1. On your main page, find the gear symbol in the top right hand corner of the screen, Usually right by your picture.
Note: If you are trying to assign specific permissions to a subsite, you must first navigate to that subsite, and then follow these steps.
2. Under the gear menu, click "Site Settings." This will take you to a screen like this.
3. Under "Users and Permissions," click on the "People and Groups" option. It will bring up this screen.
4. Once in this page, it will give you a list of different groups of users. If you want to add a user to a specific group, click on that group. If you are adding them as a general user, stay in the "Members" page.
5. At the top of the page, there will be a "New" tab. Click on this.
5. This window will appear. From here, you can add either one user, or multiple. Once you have added users (either by name or email address) the new user will receive an email inviting them to the site. It will include a link to the new site as well as a custom welcome message if you choose to include one.
Please note: When you add a user to the members group, they have view and edit permissions. This means they can see everything in the parent site & subsites (if they have the same permissions) and they can add documents or edit previous ones.
For extra information on permissions, how to give or take away permissions, and different levels of permissions, please visit this Microsoft Help Page.