Class Climate - Reporting Survey Results
This document explains how administrative staff can distribute the results of Class Climate course evaluations to instructors, campus evaluation committees, and Department Chairs. This process has been revised for Fall 2017.
Class Climate is a campus enterprise course evaluation system used by UW Colleges to evaluate instructors for purposes of tenure, promotion, merit, and retention. The Student Survey of Instruction program is governed by UW Colleges Senate Policy 308 - Administering the Student Survey of Instruction and the SSI Guiding Document. Course evaluations will be administered for all courses every semester.
- A) Determine Sections to Report
- B) Login
- C) Produce Selected Reports
- D) Distribute Selected Reports
- E) Distribute All Reports to Instructors
After course evaluation surveys have been generated (see Generating Online Surveys), emailed, and taken, an administrator needs to log in to Class Climate and send evaluation results to the course instructor, campus evaluation committee, and Department Chairs.
Note: You must confirm that grades for the semester have been entered (4 working days after final exams) before you share survey results with the instructor.
According to the new policy, evaluation committees and Department Chairs should only get results reports for course sections with at least a 50% response rate. Every semester, the Class Climate central coordinator will send you a spreadsheet listing all of the courses that meet that 50% response rate threshold.
The spreadsheet should default to the Response Rates 50% and above tab and should be sorted by instructor and course name:
To see just the sections in your campuses, Filter your results by clicking the dropdown arrow next to the Subunit field. In the Filter menu, uncheck Select All, then check the campuses you want to see.
This will hide all of the courses from other campuses, leaving just the campuses you want to see.
The spreadsheet also has a tab for courses with response rates below 50%, in case you get questions later about why a certain course wasn't included in the reports. That tab is colored red so you don't confuse it with the other one.
Login to Class Climate at http://survey.uwex.uwc.edu using the username and the password that was provided to you.
In this step, we'll distribute the PDF Reports for courses with at least a 50% response rate to instructors and evaluation committees.
Use Class Climate’s Batch Events menu to create and distribute reports of course evaluation reports.
1) Click on Subunits in the Main Menu, then Batch Events in the left-hand column.
2) On the Batch Events menu, choose the following:
Send PDF reports as instructor profiles – This option gives you a summary report for each instructor, based on the specific courses you select. Make sure to check Also send single PDF reports, below, to also get reports for individual course sections.
Hide surveys with documents which have already been sent: Uncheck this box so you can find surveys that may have already been sent.
Subunit – Select your campus. For most people, only a few subunits will appear. Ex: UW Marinette.
Survey Period - Select the current semester. Ex: Fall 2017 is FS 17/18.
Course Type - Hold down the Ctrl or Shift key while you click to select all of the available course types.
Questionnaire – SSI-2017 (for face to face), SSI-2017-N (for NODE), and SSI-2017-O (for Online courses)
Course - Scroll to the course(s) you wish to report. Consult with the spreadsheet of Response Rates to see which courses meet the minimum response rate of 50%. Hold down the Ctrl key while you click to select more than one course.
Include answers to open questions - Check this to include students’ answers to the open-ended (text box) questions.
Also send single PDF reports – Always check this box so you get reports for each individual course. Leaving this box unchecked will actually change the cover letter of the email to the incorrect cover letter (?!?).
Send all to the following email addresses – Send reports to the email address(es) you choose. Enter your own email address to send the reports to yourself so you can distribute them from there.
3) Click Proceed. The email will be sent automatically.
1) Log into your email account by opening Outlook or going to the UW Colleges email portal.
2) You should see one email for each instructor. The email will have attached PDF reports for each of section above 50% response rate.
3) Forward each email to the instructor it belongs to.
4) Open up each email again and save the PDF Reports to your computer. To do this, right click on one of the attachments in each email and select Save All Attachments.
5) Upload each PDF Report to the SharePoint site for its respective campus evaluation committees.
After the deadline for instructors to submit merit dossiers to evaluation committees (usually January 4), we've been asked to distribute all the PDF Reports directly to instructors. This is so that each instructor has all of their SSI results, even the ones which can't be used for merit evaluations.
To do this, do the following:
1) Log in to your email account and send an email to your instructors explaining
- they're about to get SSI results a second time
- the new SSI results will include PDF Reports for all of their sections, even those below a 50% response rate
- the new SSI results are for the instructor's personal use
- they shouldn't share this second set of SSI results with campus or department evaluation committees, because UWC procedure forbids those committees from using the quantitative (numerical) data from sections with below a 50% response rate
2) Log back into Class Climate and use Batch Events to send the PDF reports for all courses (even those below 50% response rate) to their respective instructors. Follow the same steps as in Section C, above, with two changes:
Course - Hold down the Shift key while you click to select all courses.
Send to Instructors - Click this radio button instead of Send all to the following email addresses. This will send reports directly to all instructors, with no need for you to forward emails.
Here's what the Batch Events screen might look like:
3) Click Proceed. The email will be sent to instructors automatically.