Office 365 - How to Assign Calendar Permissions
This document covers how to assign and share calendar permission between users without complications.
The best way to assign permissions to your calendar is through the Outlook Web Application. Whoever you grant permission to your calendar will receive an email notification and link, which will add it to their calendar view in Outlook.
There are three different permission levels to understand:
Availability Only- Allows the other person to view the calendar time slots as busy, tentative, free, and away.
Limited Details- Allows the other person to view the subject and location of time slots in the shared calendar.
Full Details- Allows the other person to view all aspects of events on the calendar.
- It does not matter what permission level has been granted to the other person, if an event is labeled as private it will appear as privateappointment to everyone else.
How to Assign Permissions:
1. Go to the Office 365 Portal
2. Select Calendar
3. Select Share at the top of the screen and click on the calendar you want to share.
4. Type in either the name or email address of the person you want to share your calendar with.
5. When their name appears click on it, and then select the permission level you would like for them to have.
6. Once you have selected the permission level, change the subject box to a more descriptive explanation of what level of access you are granting to that person. The subject box will already have a generic message that says "I'd like to share my calendar with you" in it already, but it can be changed.
7. Lastly, hit Send to send an email with the link to your calendar to the person you are sharing it with.
- It is important to use the Outlook Web Application to share calendars with others because Outlook and the Outlook Web Application are synced, but they do not have the same calendar permission options. When the calendar permission selections are made in the Outlook on your desktop it causes the system to crash. So if you need to grant someone permission to a calendar, go through the Office 365 Portal online.