Topics Map > IT
D2L (Brightspace) - Adding Users
Most users are added automatically to D2L courses through an overnight integration with the UW Colleges student information system, PRISM. Sometimes an instructor wants to add a user who isn't officially registered in the course. In these cases, the instructor can add the user manually using Add Participants.
Instructors may add students, academic assistants, colleagues, and other individuals to their D2L classes.
NOTE: This process gives a user access to your D2L course shell, but it does not officially enroll them in the course. See the UW Colleges Registration and Enrollment for information on enrolling for course credit.
Follow these steps:
1) Within D2L, go to the course you'd like to add the user to. On the navigation bar, choose My Tools > Classlist.
2) Click Add Particpants and choose Add Existing Users from the drop-down menu. This will let you choose any current UWC faculty, staff, or student.
3. Type the person's first name and last name (do not include a comma) or username in the Search For field, then press the magnifying glass icon to the right of the search field.
NOTE: Usernames work best, because multiple users may have the same first and last name. If the first name and last name are entered in the search field, be careful about nicknames. Use William rather than Bill, for instance. If you search using first name and last name, do not enter a comma in the Search field.
NOTE: No results will appear if the person being searched for is already enrolled in the current D2L course. If no results appear after searching for a user, check the Classlist to see if the user is already enrolled.
4. When the search results appear, click the checkbox for the correct user. From the Role pull-down menu to the right of the person's name, select the desired role.
5. Click Enroll Selected Users. The user is enrolled.
6. On the Confirmation of Enrollment, click Done if this is the last participant you want to enroll. Click Add More Participants to add others.
7. Go back to My Tools > Classlist, and verify that the users you added are in the class.
Attribution: adapted with permission from UW Eau Claire's D2L Faculty: Classlist.