KB User's Guide - SitePref Tab - Customize the Error Messages
You must have full administrative permissions in your space to perform these steps.
Admins and Users who have permissions to access the Site Preference tab may create/edit a Custom Messages for your KB site. This document will walk you through this process.
What is a Error Message?
An Error message is an HTTP standard response displayed when a server cannot locate the web page requested. It happens when the your KB site encounters:
- A mistyped URL
- Copy-and-paste URL mistake
- Broken links or truncated links on other web pages
- Broken links or truncated links in an email message
- Moved or deleted KB pages
Design a Custom Error Message for your KB Site
Display a customized error message to include:
- a more natural description with language that is friendly and inviting
- your KB site's branding
- link leading to helpful information
- Navigate to the Site Preference Tab > Custom Messages link
- You will be led to the Custom Messages page. You will be presented with six expandable panels, each with text fields in which you can create/modify distinct sets of instructions for the Internal and the External KB Site.
- Internal Site Search Success Message
- Internal Site Search Failure Message
- Internal Site Page Not Found Message
- External Site Search Success Message
- External Site Search Failure Message
- External Site Page Not Found Message
Enter text, links, images, tables, etc. in these text fields using HTML formatting.
Note: If you would like to add this type of content but are unsure of how to format it in HTML, you can open a new doc and use the WYSIWYG editor to format the content as desired. Then, switch to the HTML editor / code view to copy out the HTML that was generated for you.
How to Avoid a Search Yielding an Error Message
Admins can run the KB Broken Link Checker
For some inspiration for creating your page, check out this article!