KB User's Guide - Documents Tab - Template Creation via a New Document Set to "Template" Type
The Template feature allows authors to make one, or multiple documents, all having a uniform appearance. A well pre-formatted template can prescribe very specific content, structure, formatting and prompt for minimal requirements. They provide reproducible consistency and continuity of style and are time-saving in that users personalize a standard, ready-made document.
Create a Template
Creating a document template is the same as creating a regular document except that the Type field is set to Template.
- In the KB Admin Tools, click on the Documents tab.
- Click on the New Doc link on the left navigation menu.
- Fill in standard, reusable text and prompts and format the content as desired in the following input fields:
- MyGroupNote Position
- Up, Previous, Next
- Topics and Sub-topics
- Activation (including future activation)
- Note: While you may be able to save template data in the Up, Previous and Next fields, that data is not intended to transfer over to a New Document.
- Set the Type field flag to "Template" (defaults to Document).
- Click the Save change button to assign the Template a DocID.
The image below shows:
LEFT: a new document whose fields are being filled and on its way to becoming a Template.
RIGHT: After clicking on the Save Change or Submit button, this doc has been assigned a DocumentID 79733.
Best Practices: Leave the Status set to In Progress, even if the template is in its final form. If it is set to Active, it will be discoverable by users on the Live Site and may be confusing.
Note: If you set the Template to Active and the Status to Exclude from Search to prevent users from discovering it, when you create a document from this Template, the new document will also have the Status of Exclude from Search.
- There is no limit to the number of Templates one group can have.
- Like a regular document, a template can be copied via the Save As... feature and shared across multiple KB groups.
Apply Template to a New Document
When you click on the New Doc link in the Documents tab, you will be led to a screen called Creating a New Document.
If you have not created a Template yet, you will see No templates defined or available in the Template dropdown menu.
The image below shows the Creating a New Document screen. The Template field only has one option in the dropdown menu, "No templates defined or available".
However, if you have created a template, you can access it by clicking on the down arrow next to the Template field dropdown menu. Choose the appropriate template.
While the screen still says Creating a New Document, the fields that were pre-formatted with data in the template you selected will automatically populate the fields of the New Document.
Best Practices: click on the Save Change button or the Submit button to assign this New Document its own, unique Document ID number immediately. Once the New Document is saved, using either method, the screen will now read, Editing Document XXXXXX. (e.g. the New Document will prominently display the Document ID number).
Continue to edit the document as per your KB Site's workflow.
- Note: When a document is created from a template using this method, the Activation time and date stamp will reflect the current time and date and not the time and date that the template was created. The Expiration date will reflect the date your KB Site Admin has set in the Default doc expiration period, which is usually set to 1 year.