Topics Map > Applied Biotechnology
Topics Map > Applied Computing
Topics Map > Data Science
Topics Map > Health Information Management and Technology
Topics Map > IT Management
Virtual Lab Installation Instructions - Mac Tab Version (2.0) Has Accordion in tab
Click the tabs below for more information.
Some UWEX degree programs use the Virtual Lab Infrastructure to create a secure connection between your computer and a virtual Windows desktop in which your program software is installed. This infrastructure uses a non-persistent environment, similar to an in-person computer lab. You will need to install the VMWare Horizon Client to access and use a virtual lab for class assignments and projects that require specialized software applications.
Important things to remember when using the Virtual Lab:
- The Virtual Lab System Requirements are posted in the Virtual Lab Documentation. Check to be sure your machine will be able to download and use the Lab.
- Saving your work will require you to save to an external hard drive, your local hard drive, or a USB drive. See the saving instructions above for details.
- There is a 3-hour inactive time-out in place. If you are inactive in a session for three hours, your session will time out and you will lose any unsaved work.
- You will see a new, clean desktop each time you log in. Items saved on the desktop will not roll over onto a new session.
The most current Virtual Lab system requirements can be found in the respective product documentations pages.
|Operating System||Version||Service Pack(s)||Supported Editions|
|Windows 10||32 or 64 bit||Version 1909 SAC
Version 1903 SAC
Version 1809 SAC
Enterprise 2019 LTSC
Enterprise 2016 LTSC
Pro for Workstations
Internet of Things (IoT) Enterprise
|Windows 8.1||32 or 64 bit||Update 3||Pro
|MacOS High Sierra||10.13|
|Ubuntu 64-bit||16.04, 18.04|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 64-bit||7.7, 8|
Click on your operating system:
1. Begin by going to Virtual Lab start page. Click on the "Download the Horizon Client for Windows" link located near the bottom of the page. Do not enter your credentials to attempt to log in.
2. Now identify the product for your specific operating system (Windows). Click
3. Upon selecting your client, the product and download file details will be displayed (64-bit Windows used here as an example). Click on "Download."
4. Upon clicking Download, you will see the following prompts depending on your internet browser. Please see some options below:
GOOGLE CHROMEThe file will automatically download in your browser. Open the file by clicking on the ".exe tab" in teh downloads bar that appears at the bottom of your Chrome browser. If you would like to access the .exe file from the downloads folder, click on "Show All Downloads" in the right-hand corner.
MOZILLA FIREFOXA VMware Horizon Client.exe dialogue prompt will open. Click on "Save File."
Depending on your Firefox settings, the file will automatically download to a pre-determined location, or you may be prompted to choose the location to save the .exe file. If you are prompted to choose a location, direct to the location and click "Save."
5. If you have successfully completed loading the .exe file, depending on your machine, a VMware Product Installation dialogue box may automatically appear showing the installation progress. If not, locate the .exe file and open it.
You will be asked if you want to allow the file to make changes. Click Yes.
6. A new dialogue box will appear asking you if you agree to the VMware terms and conditions. Once you have read through them, click on Agree & Install or Upgrade. Statuses will then be displayed while the installer works.
7. Click on Finish once the install is completed.
8. In order to complete the installation, you will be prompted to restart your machine. Save any unsaved work on your computer, and restart your machine by clicking Restart Now.
1. Begin by going to Virtual Lab start page. Click on the "Download the Horizon Client for Mac OS X" link located near the bottom of the page. Do not enter your credentials to attempt to log in.
2. On the next screen, click "Go to Downloads" under the VMware Horizon Client for Mac" heading.
3. On the next screen, click"Download."
4. You should see something indicating the download is in progress.
5. You will need to agree to the terms and conditions to move forward.
6. The application will process.
7. On the window that displays, drag and drop the VMware Horizon Client image from left to right into the Applications folder which displays.
8.Now, you should be able to either double click the Applications folder or find your VMware Horizon Client in the Finder.
In the finder, click "Applications" and scroll until you find the VMware Horizon Client
Accessing the Lab
Accessing the Lab through the Downloaded Client
1. First, find your VMWare Horizon icon and double click it to open it. It may be on your desktop or in your finder folder.
2. The first time you launch VMware Horizon Client, you will have to add the UW-Extended Campus server. Click on + New Server, or double-click on the "Add Server" icon. Type virtuallab.wisconsin.edu into the "Enter the name of the Connection Server" field, and click "Connect.".
Accessing the Lab through a web browser
1. Begin by going to...
Saving in the Virtual Lab
Only possible in the downloaded client
Troubleshooting in the Virtual Lab
Try these things